Thursday, June 18, 2009

Pupils' researching and teaching: today's results

In my Opening Minds lessons I've had the pupils working on a research project based on Native Americans. We try to focus on the skills the pupils gain through the projects. The following are the skills focus for this project:

L2

I can communicate for a particular audience and purpose.

T3

I can be imaginative, creative and try new ways of

learning.

P1

I can plan research for a project.

P5

I can evaluate whether information is useful or reliable.

H1

I can manage my time.

H6

I can be responsible.

R1

I can learn different roles when working with a team.

R3

I can collaborate and learn ways of managing conflict.

R4

I can show respect for myself and for others.

C3

I can learn new memory techniques.


Research focus:
Each group was given a Native American region and they asked to do the following:
  • To gather information about the region
  • to general information about tribes in that region.
  • to chose one tribe to focus on.
  • and then conduct research on housing, language, food and games amongst other things.
The pupils worked on this for four days. The resulting presentations and lessons reflect the pupils' ability and we really enjoyed them.

Two boys (G &T) created a challenging word search that kept the whole crew focused and then presented information about the housing of Sub-artic tribes. They then put the other pupils on the laptops and directed them to an interactive powerpoint. They took feedback from others on how to improve and then directed them to related Native American game pages. The presentation was amazing. The pupil that spoke never looked at the power point and summarised the slides' key points and answered questions without faltering. So impressive.

Two other groups taught the class games including memorisation games and string games. Cat's cradle has spread throughout the school within a few days.

Another group attempted a ambitious art practical lesson on making model tipis. It didn't go so well in terms of how they managed others, but everyone had a go. We evaluated and one of the girls in the group has now stated that she knows for sure that she doesn't want to be a teacher.

When all the presentations/lessons were complete, I gave the pupils the list of skills. They were asked to note evidence of when they used the skills and then rate themselves out of 5. They always underestimate how well they have done. I make sure I work around the room and talk to the individuals and remind them of tasks they have done. I also talk to them about limitations and how to work around them next time.

Now on to the FUTURE. Love that scheme of work.

No comments: